Monday 25 January 2016

Use of Night Vision Goggle for Night Patrols.





My Diary
USE OF NIGHT VISION GOGGLE FOR NIGHT PATROL.
Towards the end of the famous Operation Jala Aman in 1983 in RASCOM, I was called in to help find the elusive Iban CT, Ubong, who was said to have the power to disappear and reappear at any place at his will.
Ubong was said to be in the cordoned area by troops comprising all units including the non-combatants.
I brought with me four of my most trusted men - all Ibans and a Bidayuh (Sjn Lawan, Kpl Kaya, LKpl Lan PGB and Rgr Sinku my Batman). After a briefing in RASCOM HQ in Sibu I was inserted into my Area - the left bank of Batang Rejang in the vicinity of Sg Bawan. This area was known for its strong support for the CTs as most of the Chinese living in this area were related to the CTs.
I was given no compo rations as no cooking was allowed. So we bought food such as biscuits and tinned stuffs that could last us for two weeks. We were in civilian clothes and using Iban back packs. We hoped the disguise could give us the local image. My mission was to make a surveillance on a target house that belonged to one of the CTs. It was hoped that he would return for a visit.
I was given a night vision goggle to help me move and observe at night. It was a wonder, this gadget. I patrolled the area every night and I could see my way around almost as clear as daylight! The difference was of course the images were green in colour. The gadget emitted a high-pitch sound, heard only by the person who wear it.
Luck was not on my side. Two weeks later, we were withdrawn to Kanowit, where a week after that we caught two CTs at the Kanowit jetty with the cooperation of the SBPU team and Border Scouts.


No comments:

Post a Comment