Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Tracking the Trackers up the Mighty Rejang River.

General Datuk Stephen Mundaw called me one day. Would I like to join his team on a trip up the Rejang River? I can do my search for the Trackers.

That was the chance I had been waiting for and I wouldn't like to miss it for all the world. That was a golden opportunity too for the Documentary Film team to make the last phase of their shooting. I called Kamaruddin the Director, of the plan. He agreed at the very last minute but will follow at a later date.

As usual, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. It is not easy for me to make a trip to Kuching. It is always governed by financial availability. I wanted to follow up on what I had suggested in my speech during the reburial ceremony of the remains of the Iban Trackers and Sarawak Rangers KIA in Malaya during the Malayan Emergency 1948-1960 - the revival of the Sarawak Rangers and another idea that had just cropped up from discussions with friends, i.e. forming up a Sarawak Rangers Veteran Association (SRVA).
SRVA aims to be a business-orientated association. We intend to make money and we intend to use it for the good of these veterans and their families.

I flew down to Kuching on Sunday,18 September 2011.

On Monday, 19 September 2011 I held a meeting with my SRVA protem Committee Members At about 1700 hours on the same day, I flew to Sibu. Gen Datuk Stephen was kind enough to provide me with an accomodation in his Officers Mess. I didn't have the time to use the Mess facilities as I arrived at night and left early the next day for Kapit. The VIP room was excellent.

My express boat left the Express Boat Terminal in Sibu town at 8 a.m sharp. Good thing I left the Officers Mess at 7 a.m. It was a good 30 minutes drive. I had enough time for breakfast in town with Major Ding, 3rd Rangers Second-In-Command. He was to be my guide throughout my trip to Ulu Rejang. His primary duty was actually in charge of his Rafting team that would be taking part in the annual rafting competition in Ulu Rejang.

The journey upriver took about 3 1/2 hours at RM40.00.

The Express Boat was fast. It could easily be 50mph.

Ships like this was a common sight going up or down the Rejang River, empty or ladened with logs.

We passed the awesome Durin bridge spanning the Rejang River.

Logging activities by the river.

More logging activities. This is one of the major contributory factors that turned the Rejang River into a murky, heavily silted and pulluted river.

The result:  polluted and floating logs that are dangerous to boats plying the river.

(To be continued)


  1. http://dwansekonteodolit.blogspot.com/search/label/Sarawak%20Rangers


  2. Thank you Terry. Very interesting articles.